CHECK OUT ENERGY AUDIT TOOLS TODAY!
Is your home energy efficient? Pick up basic energy audit tools from Bethesda Green’s Lending Library to find areas in your home where energy loss may occur.
Kill-a-Watt Energy Heat Watch Infrared Thermometer Advance Ballast Checker Foot-Candle Light
1. Kill-a-Watt Energy Meter – allows you to measure the energy usage of your appliances and displays their usage in Kilowatt-hours just like on your utility bill. Helps you determine the true cost of operating your home appliances.
2. Heat Watch – A tool that combines air temperature and relative humidity to determine the human-perceived temperature in a room. This tool allows users to calibrate thermostats and check humidity settings for their home.
3. Infrared Thermometer – This thermometer uses infrared technology to determine an object’s surface temperature. It allows the user to check for hot and cold spots in the home, potentially signaling a lack of insulation or improper wiring.
4. Advance Ballast Checker – Allows you to test the ballasts of your fluorescent fixtures to determine whether you have inefficient magnetic ballasts or energy-efficient electronic ballasts.
5. Foot-Candle Light Meter – Measures and displays the light levels in a room, allowing users to determine whether their lighting levels are appropriate for the activities that occur in that room.
These basic energy audit tools can be check out with a refundable deposit, so county residents can explore the energy needs and waste that occurs in their homes. These tools are not intended to take the place of a full energy audit, but rather to encourage residents to start thinking about energy efficiency in their homes.
If you are interested in checking out any of the Energy Tools, please contact Sumi Shrestha at Sumi@bethesdagreen.org.
Refundable Deposit Amounts
1. Kill-a-Watt Energy Meter – $20
2. Heat Watch – $ 50
3. Infrared Thermometer – $ 60
4. Advance Ballast Checker – $50
5. Foot-Candle Light Meter – $ 40
6. Complete Energy Tool Bundle – $200
The deposit amount covers a loan of the tool or bundle package for a two week period. Once the tool or bundle is returned to Bethesda Green, the deposit will be returned to the user. If at the end of two weeks, items are not returned or Bethesda Green is not notified of extended use, the deposit will be forfeited to cover the loss of the equipment.
To access instructions for each of the library of tools, click on the name of the tool below.
Energy Tool Lending Library was launched in partnership with the Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection.